Whether you attended BPC 2012 or not, please send your comments about the conference and/or this website to
Comments will be posted online only with permission of the author.
For comments of attendees and others, click here.
For the BPC 2012 Donor Hall of Fame, click here.
For what's new on this website, click here.
For the Bounty-Pitcairn store, click here.
Photo by Michael Gill
Bounty-Pitcairn Conference 2012
Co-sponsored by the Pitcairn Islands Study Group and the FRIENDS of PITCAIRN Yahoo! Group
was held August 19-21, 2012
at the Pitcairn Islands Study Center in Angwin, California
List of Speakers, with Titles of Talks and More!
Of the 15 speakers, three were Pitcairn Island residents and another was raised on Pitcairn. Two were from Australia, one was from Australia and Norfolk Island, and the remainder were from the U. S. Pitcairn Islanders Jacqui Christian and Kari Boye Young, Marie Christian Thomas (who was raised on Pitcairn Island) and former Commissioner for the Pitcairn Islands, Leslie Jaques, OBE, all made presentations. The following also spoke: Australian numismatist Ron Edwards; Australian linguistics professor Dr. Peter Muhlhausler; Australian historian Roger Stuart-Andrews; tall ship expert Captain Sean Bercaw, philatelist and former Pitcairn Islands Study Group President Mark A. Butterline; Pitcairn Islands Study Center Director Herbert Ford; author Dr. Bob Kirk; author Donald A. Maxton; history professor Dr. Tillman Nechtman; author and former Pitcairn Log Managing Editor Steve Pendleton; and maritime, Bounty and Pitcairn collector Tony Probst.
Official Program (PDF,
August 17, 2012 Addendum to Official Program (PDF)
All events were
held in the Fireside Room, a building on the Pacific Union College
campus only a short walk from the Nelson Memorial
Library where the Pitcairn Islands Study Center is located. The Fireside
Room is marked as number 18 on the
Union College online campus map and on the
Pacific Union College larger campus map (PDF).
Sunday, August 19, 2012:
7:00 PM-8:30 PM
mixer with snacks and video presentations:
(1) A Climb out onto Ship Landing Point Overlooking Bounty Bay (5:38),
video clip taken with a helmet-attached camcorder by
(2) Myth Bounty: In the Footsteps of a Mutiny (22:31), a video created by Evelyn Bremer of Berlin, Germany
Monday, August 20, 2012:
9:45 AM Video of opening ceremonies (18:51):
Introductory remarks by Moderator Barbara Stein
Welcome by Dr. Nancy Lecourt, Vice President for Academic Administration, Pacific Union College
Remarks by Host Herbert Ford, Director of the Pitcairn Islands Study Center, on the long relationship
between Pacific Union College and Pitcairn Island and an explanation as to why the Study Center
is located at the College
Welcome by Ted Cookson on behalf of Co-sponsors Pitcairn Islands Study Group
FRIENDSofPITCAIRN Yahoo! Group
10:00 AM Kari Boye Young: "How the Pitcairners' Resourcefulness Has Enabled Them to Survive in Isolation"
Video of talk (22:45) Text of talk (PDF)
10:30 AM Mark A. Butterline: "Pitcairn Island: Post Office and Community"
Video of talk (26:55) PowerPoint slide show with images (10 MB)
11:00 AM Ron Edwards: “Pitcairn’s Coinage: A Difficult & Varied Program of Limited Success”
Video of talk (17:31) Text of talk (PDF)
11:30 AM Break
11:45 AM Herbert Ford: "Pitcairn: Survival by Ship"
Video of talk (26:56) Text of talk (PDF)
12:15 PM Leslie Jaques, OBE: "A Retrospective on 'Seven Years of Plenty'"
Video of talk (24:07) Text of talk (PDF)
Pitcairn handicrafts market
2:15 PM Q & A Skype video chat with Pitcairn Island, featuring Pitcairn Mayor Michael Warren (40:14)
3:15 PM Break
3:30 PM Tillman Nechtman, PhD: "Joshua Hill, the Self-Instituted King of Pitcairn: Separating the Truth from the Lies"
Video of talk (26:45) Text of talk (PDF)
4:00 PM Captain Sean Bercaw: "The Bercaw Family's Four Trips to Pitcairn: 1951, 1972, 1987, 2002"
Video of talk (24:49) PowerPoint slide show with images (67 MB)
4:30 PM Break
4:45 PM Premiere showing of a 45-minute excerpt from Dem Tul Pitcairn, a yet-to-be-released documentary film
5:45 PM End of Monday program
6:00 PM - 8:00 PM Time at leisure to explore Pitcairn Islands Study Center
Tuesday. August 21, 2012:
10:00 AM Bob Kirk, PhD: "Some Highlights of Pitcairn History"
Video of talk (24:47) Summary text of talk
PowerPoint slide show with images (29 MB, not shown at BPC 2012)
10:30 AM Jacqui Christian: "Back to the Future: Jacqui Christian, who grew up on Pitcairn Island,
returned after 20 years of successfully living overseas to offer her skills and experience
to contribute to creating Pitcairn's future. This is a story that will encourage."
Video of talk (29:16) Short summary text of talk (PDF)
11:00 AM Peter Muhlhausler, PhD: "Ned Young, creator of the linguistic landscape of Pitcairn Island"
Video of talk (22:25) Background text (PDF)
11:30 AM Break
11:45 AM Donald A. Maxton: "'Mutiny' in the Magazine Section: Bounty, Pitcairn and the Popular Press"
Video of talk (29:18) Text of PowerPoint slide show (PDF) PowerPoint slide show with images (50 MB)
12:15 PM Steve
"The Neighbors - Pitcairn Isn't Alone (Though It Might Seem So)"
Video of talk (19:00) Easter Island article (PDF) Norfolk Island article (PDF) Pitcairn Philately (PDF) (6 MB)
12:45 PM Pitcairn handicrafts market
2:15 PM Q & A Skype
video chat with Pitcairn Island, featuring Pitcairn culture expert Meralda
3:15 PM Break
3:30 PM Roger Stuart-Andrews: "The Ultimate Fate of Fletcher Christian"
Video of talk (26:05) PowerPoint slide show with images (2 MB)
4:00 PM Tony Probst and Marie Christian Thomas:
"A Photographic Journey through Pitcairn’s Present and Past with Marie Christian and Tony Probst" (one hour)
Video of talk (1:01:07) (Marie speaks in the second half, beginning after 31 minutes)
Photography by Tony Probst Photography by Marie Christian Thomas
5:00 PM Video of closing ceremonies (12:41):
Closing remarks by Moderator
Barbara Stein and
and awarding of the Pitcairn Islands Study Group's Bounty Anchor Award for 2012 to Herbert Ford.
5:15 PM End of Tuesday program
5:30 PM - 8:00 PM Time at leisure to explore Pitcairn Islands Study Center
Video clips of Pitcairn Islanders singing:
Video of Pitcairn Islanders singing in Angwin and on Pitcairn at end of video chat on August 20, 2012 (3:48)
Video of Pitcairn Islanders singing on Pitcairn at end of video chat on August 21, 2012 (5:41)
Video of Pitcairn Islanders singing farewell in Angwin at conclusion of BPC 2012 on August 21, 2012 (5:56)
For additional video of Pitcairn Islanders singing during BPC 2012, click here.
Conference attendees had ample opportunity to peruse the extensive resources available at the Pitcairn Islands Study Center (PISC), which contains one of the world's largest collections of materials relating to the Mutiny on the Bounty, Captain William Bligh, HMAV Bounty, and both Pitcairn and Norfolk Islands. Included in the Center's collection are over 1,500 books and numerous journal articles and non-print items. PISC remained open late for browsing and research August 20-21 and it was also open on August 22.
* A 45-minute excerpt from Dem Tul Pitcairn, a yet-to-be-released documentary film about Pitcairn, was shown.
* Two Q & A Skype video chats (click here and here) were held with Pitcairn Island residents. The video image was projected onto a large screen in Angwin.
* Small group tours of the Pitcairn Islands Study Center were offered.
* Two Pitcairn handicrafts markets were held. These featured Pitcairn Islander-woven baskets, wood-carved flying fish, Pitcairn & Bounty T-shirts, Pitcairn stamps, wood-carved models of HMS Bounty, painted “Hattie” leaves, etc.
* Several pieces of tapa cloth produced by Pitcairn Islander Meralda Warren were displayed and offered for sale. For details and a photo of the largest piece, click here.
* A DVD containing digital copies of all of the issues of the Pitcairn Island Study Group's quarterly, The Pitcairn Log, made its debut. The DVD contains every issue of the journal from its September 1973 inception through the October 2011 issue as well as five monographs, four of which are out-of-print. This represents over 3,500 pages in total. To view the online index of The Pitcairn Log, click here. To purchase this DVD, click here.
* A DVD containing digital copies of all of the issues of the The UK Log, the semi-annual journal published by the former Pitcairn Islands Study Group (UK) (now known as The Pitcairn and Norfolk Islands Society), made its debut. The DVD contains every issue of the journal from its January 1991 inception through the July 2012 issue as well as two monographs published by PISG (UK). This represents over 1,450 pages in total. To view the online index of The UK Log, click here. To purchase this DVD, click here.
* The preview edition of Ted Cookson's Pitcairn Island and the Bounty Saga - Institutions and Monuments: A Worldwide List of Related Archives, Churches, Gardens, Houses, Libraries, Monuments, Museums and Ships, made its debut. This monograph reveals where 101 Pitcairn- and Bounty-related artifacts may be viewed in the U. S. and around the world. To purchase this CD, click here.
* The Pitcairn Islands Philatelic Bureau was represented, with stamp and coin sales at scheduled times and a special cachet:
* A United States Postal Service station operated at scheduled times and featured a special postmark:
* Funds remaining after covering conference expenses were donated to the Pitcairn Islands Study Center.
For photos and links, click here.
For the BPC 2012 Donor Hall of Fame, click here.
Fellow Pitcairn Island and Bounty
Saga enthusiasts, your financial assistance is sought in order to maintain this
No donation is too small nor too large.
All donations will be listed on this web page within the relevant donation tier. Any person wishing to donate
anonymously is requested to so advise, either at the time of donation by PayPal or
else subsequently via email to
or by post to Pitcairn Islands Study Center, 1 Angwin Avenue, Angwin, CA
94508-9713. Donations are not
tax-deductible. Thank you for your generous support.
Those unable to contact the conference organizers via email at email@example.com may correspond with:
Herbert Ford, Director
Pitcairn Islands Study Center
1 Angwin Avenue
Angwin, CA 94508-9713
Online directions on how to get to Pacific Union College
Driving directions to Pacific Union College (PDF)
Pacific Union College online campus map
Pacific Union College larger campus map (PDF)
Click on this link
for a map of Angwin, CA
Angwin, CA weather report and forecast:
Go to photos and links
Go to speakers' page
Go to store
Go to Donor Hall of Fame
Go to media page
What's new on this website?
Go to site map
Last updated May 1, 2014
View My Stats